Thursday, May 10, 2007

Finished: Blue Baby Blanket

Finished: March 2007

Crochet baby blanket, "Shells & Clusters" pattern.  Finished with a 5-DC shell edging.

Yarn: JoAnn Sensations "Rainbow Classic" acrylic mohair, Lion Brand "Jiffy" acrylic mohair

Size E crochet hook

Blanket given as a belated baby present to Art's friends Tim and Megan.

Detail of the stitch pattern:

The pattern was very easy to work, although the few times I had to rip out some stitches it was difficult because of the stickiness of the mohair fuzz.

I'd crocheted about a foot when I realized I wasn't going to have enough yarn to make a decent looking blanket.  I reread the pattern and realized that it was written for a sport weight yarn, and I had a worsted or heavier weight.  I went back to the store and found one more large ball, still on sale, so the blanket is almost square, but still a little shorter than it is wide.

I didn't have enough blue for the edging, so I went back again and found a skein of white "Jiffy" for the shell border.

This blanket is on the large side, but the baby was several months old by the time we got it to her, and I figure it'll make a good "sit-on" blanket, since it's washable.

No comments: